Transportation stocks are on a roll, and that could be good news for the market as a whole as the band is often a leading indicator for stocks.
Rising transportation stocks can also be a sign of strength for the economy, as companies in the sector are critical to the health of the economy.
The Dow Jones Transportation Average, which includes 20 major companies, rose 8.5% in the past month, compared to a 5.3% gain for the S&P 500.
Among major U.S. transportation stocks, rail operator Union Pacific (UNP) – Get the Union Pacific Corporation report has climbed 10% in the last month and 21% in the last year. United Parcel Service Parcel Delivery Company (UPS) – Get the Class B report from United Parcel Service, Inc. increased by 5% in the last month and 31% in the last year.
Another railroad, CSX (CSX) – Get CSX Company Report, gained 10% in the last month and 16% in the last year. Rival delivery company FedEx (FDX) – Get the FedEx Corporation report rose 6% in the past month, but slipped 15% in the past year.
Some economists and investors fear that the Federal Reserve’s interest rate hikes, which began on March 16, could trigger a recession. But the rise in transport stocks could indicate otherwise.
“This suggests that the US economy may be more resilient or on firmer footing than some people would believe,” Michael Arone, chief investment strategist at State Street Global Advisors, told the Wall Street Journal.
Meanwhile, Cowen has put together a list of stocks including his top ESG investing ideas. The list includes:
1. Alaska Air (ALK) – Get the report from Alaska Air Group, Inc.airline company ;
Scroll to continue
2. BioMarin Pharmaceutical (BMRN) – Get the report from BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc.a biotechnology company;
3.Cummins (CMI) – Get the report from Cummins Inc.an engine manufacturer;
4.Expedia (EXPE) – Get the report from Expedia Group, Inc.an online travel agency;
5. Johnson Controls (JCI) – Get the Johnson Controls International plc reporta building equipment company;
6. Lam Search (LRCX) – Get the Lam Research Corporation reporta semiconductor machine company;
7. Planet Fitness (PLNT) – Get the Class A report from Planet Fitness, Inc.a chain of fitness clubs;
8.Ralph Lauren (RL) – Get Ralph Lauren Corporation Class A Reporta clothing company;
9. Working day (WDAY) – Get the Class A report from Workday, Inc.a software company;
10. Yum! Brands (YUM) – Get yum! Report Brands, Inc.parent company of restaurant chains such as KFC, Taco Bell and Pizza Hut.